[ale] SSL

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Apr 28 12:37:35 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 11:49 -0400, Brandon Colbert wrote:
> All,

> I just install an SSL cert on a server. It works fine, but when ever
> apache is restarted it is asking for the passphrase. What can I use to
> make this automated? I think pp-filter does that, but I can't find
> it.

	Take the passphrase off the private key?

	Think about it.  Anything you do (short of a remote ssh startup) is
going to incorporate the password into what ever script or process you
use, totally obliterating any possible security you might have thought
you derived from having a passphrase on the key.

> Any ideas?

	openssl rsa -in key.pem -out newkey.pem

	Enter old passphrase.  Give it no new passphrase.

	Now use newkey.pem for your private key.  It's a little more
complicated if you have your private key and public certificate in the
same file (I recommend against this) but they're just text files and I'm
sure you can figure that out to separate the two, change the password,
and recombine them.

	Mike