[ale] RAM and Harddrives

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Apr 27 09:44:42 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 06:52 -0400, Jon Reagan wrote:
> Thanks, everyone.  The memory (RAM) apparently has 4 chips, but I
> noticed I had only half the RAM when I removed just one.

> Is there any place I can look to see the maximum harddrive size that I
> could get?  (in BIOS, etc.)

	Having been down this road several times...  Yes...  But it's not easy.
Write down the make and model of your motherboard and then note the make
and version of your BIOS when it boots up.  Get everything, even if it
means rebooting several times (my average is 3 to 4 reboots to get every
string of numbers).  I suppose you might also find it by doing a string
search through memory but I've never tried it.

	If the BIOS predates about 2000, your probably going to have trouble
much above 20G.  IIRC, 20G will work and 80G will not (at least with the
older motherboards I tried).  Do a google search on that motherboard and
look up the latest BIOS available for it.  Look through the revisions
for any changes relating to drive size and compare your revision to that
revision change.  If you predate that revision change, you'll have to
reflash your BIOS.  If you postdate that revision change you may still
want to reflash your BIOS but you probably don't have to.

	This article has more information on hard drive and BIOS limitations:

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/resolving_drive_barriers.htm

	The symptoms you will experience, if you have an older BIOS (and I've
had this happen with Phoenix, AMD, and Award BIOS's) is that the BIOS
will hang when it's testing the IDE drives.  So you have to upgrade that
BIOS before connecting the large hard drive or you will not boot at all.

> Thanks,

	Mike