[ale] is USB stick safer than CD-ROM/DVD

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sat Apr 26 00:29:01 EDT 2008

I would say that you're better off with the DVDs, stored VERY carefully
and re-burned every few years (perhaps more than one copy).

The USB stick probably won't have any error correction - a cosmic ray
strike can easily flip a bit.  It probably can't flip a bit on a DVD,
but even if it did, the inherent error correction ability in the DVD
format would almost certainly correct it.

Just the same, I'd use the USB stick at the same time and use *it* for
casual reading, not the DVDs.