[ale] Setting up LAN with ATT Westel Modem

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Apr 25 10:22:37 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 09:49 -0400, James Moore wrote:
> Thanks Joshua,
> Thought it needed to bridged, because when it's PPPoE as it is now the
> ATT servers seem to be managing rather than my router.

	It's actually all PPPoE.  Just a matter of whether the Westel is doing
in (managed mode) or it's bridging PPPoE to your gateway (bridging mode)
where your gateway is managing the PPPoE sessions.  In either mode, you
can still communication with the Westel on 192.168.1.254.  I've got my
two in bridging mode but I keep a 192.168.1.x (2.x in the case of the
second one) address on the interface so I can communicate with the
modem's administrative interface and run PPPoE in parallel on the same
link.

> Jim

	Mike