[ale] Ubuntu nm-applet

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Sun Apr 20 16:08:51 EDT 2008

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to make the nm-applet NOT ask for a
> password to bring up wireless?

What I do in this situation is use sudo.  Set the user up with the
ability to run that application without a password in /etc/sudoers.
Then simply call the wireless app with sudo.

> I have a desktop that when rebooted requires interaction from the user
> to start wireless.  I first saw that wireless did not come up unless the
> user logged in.  I setup automatic login in gdm.  I then saw the
> nm-applet prompt.  If I reboot the machine it does not come up on the
> network till I go over to it and type the password.
>
> Is it possible to configure a wireless connection just like a wired
> connection.

You can configure wireless to come up automagically, how you do it is
distro dependent though.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin