[ale] SWAP over NFS

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Apr 16 19:45:54 EDT 2008

I've been doing more playing and got SWAP over NFS to work via Xubuntu
7.10 on a machine with 128m of memory

It is becoming clear to me that to keep up with the latest software like
firefox and a 64mb or even a 128mb diskless workstation no longer
exists.  Xubuntu over NFS becomes useless once Xfce fires up.  I've
watched vmstat in another window and the swap over NFS does work but the
amount being swapped out is outrageous.

I guess I could get the box running on an earlier FC disti but what
about memory hungry firefox?  I think the best thing is that diskless
workstations have at least 512m of memory.

Chris