[ale] More info -Can't load gui

Jim Moore d2ove4deb at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 15 09:13:04 EDT 2008

System is my Gateway laptop running Debian etch.
As it normally runs solely wireless, I hooked it up to the Cat 5 from my
desktop.
First attempted to reconfigure gdm --dpkg-reconfigure gdm, but that got
me nowhere.
Then a reinstall --apt-get install --reinstall gdm, again no help.

I have access to the system if I start a failsafe terminal session which
offers a small terminal box in the right lower corner of the screen.
That was how I attempted to
do the reconfigure and reinstall after plugging in the Cat 5.  It
successfully contacted my chosen mirror for the reinstall downloaded the
files and processed them, no problem there except it still can't load
the gdm

jim  moore