[ale] linux friendly isp for dsl

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Tue Apr 15 01:37:11 EDT 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 12:57 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Last time I tried this (it was BellSouth then) I didn't even bother
> with the CD, I just hooked my Linux laptop up to the Westell(?) modem
> and (after figuring out the subnet it was using), I pointed a browser
> at the .1  IP.   Filled in user/pass, changed some settings, and was
> good to go.
>
> If you think about it, the software is really just a pretty way for
> average joes to bypass dealing with ipconfig and the modem admin page.

I had to register my bellsouth.net user/pass through their software. I
spent about a half hour trying to find a web interface to register
through, but did not find anything worthwhile in either AT&Ts system
or Google. Luckily, their software didn't demand to install itself to
do the registration/configuration.

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org