[ale] SMTP and AT&T (VPN solution)

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Mon Apr 14 15:17:07 EDT 2008

Mike's idea is, of course, great.

My solution is to set up a VPN.  I invoke the following on my internal
firewall to my mail server, called babble:

  ssh -lbob -o 'AllowedAuthentications password' -e none -S -g -\
    L 10.0.0.1:25:babble.com:25 babble.com
  echo "ssh mail VPN died" | Mail -s "SSH mail VPN died" \
    bob at VerySecureLinux.com
  echo "Sent email notifying bob that we died"

Of course, the above needs restarting any time either system goes down.
Using an empty passphrase, a loop around the code, and starting from
rc.local would fix that problem.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]