[ale] Slashdot article on UAV/satellite surveillance

John Doe ultra.paranoid at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 02:34:37 EDT 2008

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/04/13/1830202.shtml

I apologize, however, this message is a little
off-topic.

I've got nothing to hide, but this Slashdot article
about further government intrusion into our lives
bothers me a great deal.  I am curious if you all have
tips on how to minimize tracking via satellite and UAV
surveillance while residing in Atlanta.

Suppose I am meeting a friend at a public place like
Underground Atlanta or a shopping mall.  One way to
minimize surveillance is by taking MARTA rail and
buses or other public transit.  I can also duck into
one entrance of a MARTA rail stop and then get out
another entrance.  I can also duck in and out of
malls, office buildings, restaurants, businesses, etc.
 I'm constantly worried about surveillance cameras,
but I'm more worried (terrified, in fact) about
satellite/UAV surveillance.

Sometimes this isn't feasible however, and I need to
be in my car.  I'm thinking that judiciously going in
and out of parking garages and traveling at night can
help minimize surveillance.  I can drive my car into
public parking garages like the large parking garages
at Lenox Mall and Perimeter Mall, idle for random
periods of time, and then exit to confuse anybody
reviewing satellite surveillance.

I believe that I could also travel in downtown Atlanta
and intentional go into heavy, rush-hour traffic to
blend in with the herd of other drivers and also have
the tall buildings obscure images of my vehicle, since
the satellites/UAVs are not always going to be
directly over me.

I do not know Atlanta very well since I have not lived
here very long (moved here in August 2007), but I am
eager to minimize my exposure.

I wish there was something like the L in Chicago which
could be easily used to minimize overhead
surveillance.  I am looking at Spaghetti Junction on
Google maps and unfortunately, it offers almost no
relief from me being tracked in my vehicle by overhead
surveillance.

There are some places like on Peachtree Industrial
Blvd outside of the Perimeter, where I can excessively
linger in my vehicle for a while under the bridge to
confuse anybody who later reviews satellite imagery,
but it's far from ideal.  I could also idle
excessively on Cobb Parkway under I-285 in Smyrna to
confuse the government.  I do not like putting on my
flashers and angering/inconveniencing other motorists
however.  (I also would not want to pretend that I am
having vehicle trouble and have a police officer pull
up behind me and ask me for identification, etc.)

If people can recommend specific parking garages,
structures and locations that obscure aerial
surveillance in Atlanta, then please post or e-mail me
privately.  I welcome tips on roads and areas that are
heavily wooded and have substantial tree coverage,
etc.

Thank you.