[ale] SF

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Apr 12 20:38:49 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 20:31 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> Do you have to cancel your SF subscription before signing up with
> Atlantic Nexus? That would, of course, be impossible right now. How is
> Atlantic Nexus going to get BS to re-allot your line while SF still
> runs it?

That I do not know.  I never asked but they said that a transition would
not be a problem.  If you do switch call instead of using the website.

I waited to jump ship because I wanted to believe that this was just a
hardware outage and would be fixed.   This may well be true.  However,
Louie reminded me of the lack of communication and treatment.

If what is in the thread is true their financial situation is bleak.
This outage being so large will make that situation worse with many of
their customers leaving.  I paid $60/mon with 1 static IP for 3mbps
down, 384k up.  MY wife complained about the price but I stood by it
because I want my ISP's support to be based in the US.  Not India.  When
we were having latency issues I realized that my ISP was based here but
most of the talent that was there 2 years ago had left.  The guy treated
me as a windows luser even thought I repeatedly told him that I was
running one Linux computer and no windows.  He kept ranting about
malware and that I needed to reboot.

If I would have known that switching would be so easy I would have done
it months ago.

If you are going to switch then I would call 770-222-4455 and do it now.
I'm not sure if their sales office will be opened on Sunday.  I asked
the rep if they opened on Sat because of the outage but he said they
were always open on Sat.

In the DSL Reports thread there is someone "from" SpeedFactory that
states that they are having an "outage" and working on the problem.
That person has came into the thread a few times with that statement.
An outage that lasts over 24hours is serious and requires more
elaboration to retain trust from customers.  I would suspect that many
of their customers are technical folks and we have a tendency to want to
know WHY things stop working.

Good Luck,
Chris