[ale] Running firefox remotely

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Apr 11 10:18:47 EDT 2008

That is the way it is supposed to work.

The "X" in your "-CX2" enables X11 forwarding.  It is exactly what you
use if you want the display to come to you.

You use lower case "x" to disable X11 forwarding.

When you use the upper case X it sets the DISPLAY variable in such a way
that it comes back over your ssh session.   When you use lower case x it
explicitly tells it not to do that.

Try doing a simple "ssh -x cfowler at 192.168.1.112" then "echo $DISPLAY".
After that log out of the session and do "ssh -X cfowler at 192.168.1.112"
and then "echo $DISPLAY".   You'll see a difference.  You'll also see
the DISPLAY variable is NOT set to what you would expect for normal X
windows - that is because it is using the tunnel rather than the
standard port range in the 6000s.   (Of course all this assume you don't
have a bashrc, profile etc... that is explicitly setting DISPLAY=....)