[ale] DDR2 Timing recommendations (was: Mobo + Intel chip recommendations, please)

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Apr 10 10:56:54 EDT 2008

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> So I need to now buy some DDR2 memory.... for which it seems the only
> advantage over DDR memory is "the timings"....  What are
> good/better/best DDR2 timings?  And what would make a 3-4-3-9 timing
> better/worse than a 2-3-2-5 or a 5-5-5-15 timing?

"The key difference between DDR and DDR2 is that in DDR2 the bus is
clocked at twice the speed of the memory cells, so four words of data
can be transferred per memory cell cycle. Thus, without speeding up the
memory cells themselves, DDR2 can effectively operate at twice the bus
speed of DDR."
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR-2

For explanations of the timings see

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/ram_guide/ram_guide.part2-1.html

> Also, how much more worthwhile is 1066Mhz over 800Mhz (over 400Mhz)?

Short answer: probably not at all.

-Brian