[ale] Spammer using my address :(

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Wed Apr 9 15:38:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
>  A spammer is apparently using one of our company addresses as a reply
>  to address.  ie. We're getting th bounce messages.
>
>  Does anyone know of anything that should be done mitigate the problem,
>  or do we just have to hope the spammer changes reply addresses in a
>  day or two.

Although it won't stop the spammer from using your domain.... if you
had a SPF record on your company domain, then legit servers would more
than likely not accept the spammer's email, and thus there would be
fewer bounces back to you.

I see that you use Google Apps for your company email, assuming that
you don't operate any other internal company mail systems, you can
accomplish this by adding a DNS TXT record with the following data:

     v=spf1 include:aspmx.googlemail.com -all

Also see: http://www.openspf.org/

hth,

-Jim P.