[ale] error booting XP after dual boot install of Ubuntu 7.10

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Tue Apr 8 21:00:26 EDT 2008

Well, I tried to do my first dual boot install tonite on my dad's Win XP
machine, and although the GRUB loader works fine and boots into Ubuntu
just fine, and sees the Win XP and HP Recovery partitions just fine,
when I select Windows XP to boot to, it reports Disk Error, hit
CTL-ALT-DEL to reboot.  I can boot into the HP recovery partition, and
can run the recovery, but it then wipes out the GRUB loader and still
won't boot into windows.  I reinstalled Ubuntu, and I'm back to square
one: I can boot Ubuntu and see Windows partitions, but can't boot into XP.

Could my repartitioning of my drive during Ubuntu install have altered
the hd(0,0) location specified for Windows XP, and hence the GRUB loader
can't find the location of XP?  How can I find where Ubuntu's
repartitioner put it and then do I change the boot.ini file in the
Windows XP partition (seen just fine by Ubuntu) or the menu.lst file of
the GRUB loader?

TIA,
Daniel

--