[ale] Mobo + Intel chip recommendations, please

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Sun Apr 6 23:49:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Jamey Owens <vindir at comcast.net> wrote:
> Any idea what kind of price range you're looking to fit into?

The less, the better.  :-)

>  There aren't a whole lot of chips out from intel right now at or above 3Ghz
>  so you're looking at either the Conroe E6850 or Wolfdale E8400/E8500.

What's comparable in the 2GHx - 3Ghz range?   I don't know that I need
3Ghz, at present (until today) 2.2Ghz did fine.   If 3Ghz is $20 more
than a 2.7GHz, then it's an easy decision, I just am not sure of what
the sane price/Mhz range is these days.

>  One of the better choices out right now is something the Asus P5K line for
>  around $120-$160 if you want to go P35 chipset with the Conroe.  65nm chip
>  but the boards should support 45nm if you decide to move up in the future.

I'm not sure that I understand that... P35 chipset seems to be in my
price range and seems to fit what I need.   What is 65nm chip and
45nm?

>  Alternately if you run with the gigabyte recommendation they have the
>  GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L for around 90 and a couple other choices around that
>  range, less options in setup but not bad boards.
>
>  If you're looking at the wolfdales might as well go for the X38 or X48
>  chipsets now.  Haven't used any of them to give comment but liked the looks
>  of the Asus P5E.

Thx!

-Jim P.