[ale] Mobo + Intel chip recommendations, please

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 22:35:27 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Jim Popovitch <yahoo at jimpop.com> wrote:

> Need to replace a dead Mobo/CPU combo... was Asus A8N-E w/ AMD Athlon
> 1800 (~2.2Ghz) dual core, would like to move to an Intel 3Ghz dual
> core or greater.  BUT.... don't want to heat the house with the thing
> ;-)    "Power saving" features aren't important as the PC is either
> 100% used or hibernated/shutdown, although low power consumption is
> appreciated.   Need 4 SATA ports, at least 1 ATA port, no built-in
> video necessary, an a PCIE-16x port.     Any recommendations?<http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo/ale>

 I've always had good luck with Gigabyte. I just recently recommended my
parents get the GA-P35-DS3L [1] for my brother's birthday. I remember
reading that some people on this list had the exploding/leaking caps problem
with their Gigabyte boards, but this one has solid caps. I've got the
GA-965P-S3, although it seems to have been deactivated on Newegg. The P35
support the 1066 memory and has a 1333/1066 FSB, which is one of the reasons
why I bought it. Oh ya, and it supports Vista! :P

-Steve Brown

[1] http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813128059