[ale] get vs. mget (FTP)

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 08:33:54 EDT 2008

As this thread progresses, I came to the conclusion it is kinda both
client's fault as well as the server's fault
1) FTPS client (cesftp.jar)   For 'mget *', the client sends 'NLST' then
'RETR' to the server. It gets a list of file names returned from NLST, then
assembles one RETR command for each file.
The problem with this cesftp.jar client, it prefixed each file name with
current directory (PWD) to pass in as RETR argument.  As JK points out,
shell globbing behavior is expected of the FTPS or FTP client, aka, relative
path instead of absolute path.
2) The FTP server (Connect Enterprise FTP server) freaks out, for
/defaulthomedir/blah.txt, while it is OK with blah.txt. The session starts &
stays in /defaulthomedir, as PWD reports.   vsftpd, the ftp server in a
stock RHEL 5 installation, is happy with either.

A few things are still on the table. btw, my focus on the clients is due to
the fact that tx/fix on the server is out of the question.

   - magic switch to turn on 'regular' shell globbing behavior for the
   current cesftp.jar client
   - try a newer version of cesftp.jar in hope it was identified as a bug
   by people before me
   - try with lftp or alike