[ale] License agreement for Linux based commercial systems..

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Wed Apr 2 22:49:45 EDT 2008

>  There are a couple of things you need to consider, starting with "what is
> the license of the code you are modifying?"  If the base code is GPL, then

Other than PHP and MySQL, which the client already runs for other things,
and has commercial MySQL licenses.. everything else in the project was
written from scratch in PHP/HTML/JavaScript.. (lots of cut and paste from
years of LAMP work)... so as long as the 'requirements' are properly
licensed, we should be good as well.

Had a good phone call today with the lawyer, and with the sanity check
of the ALE list and others, I think we're prepped well for a sit-down meeting
tomorrow. Had some good comments on and off-list, and I think we'll be
pretty close to the "MySQL Commercial License"...

We're basicly doing a minimal "license fee" just enough to be legal,
and charging mostly for customization, integration, implementation support
and such. Should be interesting.. if successful, I won't be chatting on
ale.org much, but I'll be around.

For entertainments sake: I used to say I was the creator of the
'EgoWare license' - send me a postcard saying nice things if you
like/use.. and delete it or fix it if you don't. I used to post
Paradox stuff on Compuserve and FidoNet BBS's and got some kewl post
cards.