[ale] Microsoft can brag about something other than the X-Box now...

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Sat Sep 29 08:14:48 EDT 2007

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 22:55 -0400, Marvin, International Martian of
> Mystery wrote:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/surface/
>
> I've seen this thing reviewed a lot over the past few months... mostly
> by low-technical media journalists on CNN and other news sources.  It
> does look cool... cool like an electric garden hose at night.  However I
> see no real use for it outside of hotel bars, trade show floors, and
> possibly CarMax showrooms.  OK, so it would be neat to move all my
> family photos around and drop my phone on the top and let it sync my
> address book and pics... BUT... (and I realize there is danger in saying
> this due to things like Bill Gates' famous "640K memory is more than
> anyone will ever need" statement), I don't think there really is any
> consumer interest and value in owning one of these.   NOW, if the
> surface of my refrigerator worked like that, and I could scan Kroger and
> CVS receipts rather than using magnets to save them (...until I know my
> purchases haven't been recalled), then perhaps I might be interested if
> it didn't cost a years salary. ;-)

I have no idea what the price would be for such a product.  I will say
that I can't imagine why people spend the 1000s of dollars on the latest
big screen TVs.  I would buy this device long before I'd invest in a 40+
inch TV.  Then again, this device you put your own media 'on' whereas,
there's nothing worth watching on TV these days..

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin