[ale] wireless card

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Sep 28 15:16:10 EDT 2007

Well, if it were for a corporation, I would not be so hard on the PDF
stance. But schools are about LEARNING!!! If a professor _can't_learn_
there are other issues involved.

Most places I have seen in academia that insist on M$ format papers do
so because they are sending the papers off to a research service for
plagiarism testing.

Any time a professor gets knicker-twisted about the format of a
not-for-publication document, the students are likely suffering through
a bad semester already. There are certain formats that are easier to
read (double spaced, no "weird" fonts, etc) and when I taught college
nearly anything was OK. I had people sending me ASCII text (which I
actually preferred so the CONTENT was important and not the pretty
factor).

I know I take a hard-line stance on this (and kicked and screamed
through 3 colleges doing it) but I expect people to in academia to be
more capable of learning new stuff than corporate people. I have no
problem standing toe to toe with a tenured professor who is requiring a
non-standard document format and getting them to back down and accept a
real document standard (Sun even provided a plugin that allows legacy
office suite users to open ODT format files correctly). I have done this
as a student, as a teacher and again as a parent. Now I'm doing it again
as a consultant to schools. The legacy crap is on the way out and so are
the people who insist on requiring it.

The only reason that is truly valid for a professor to NOT accept a PDF
document or an ODT document, for that matter, it the professor is lazy.
If they will admit that in front  of their peers, I'll back down and let
their peers will take over. If all of the peers join them in the
admission, then I lose and walk away with my dignity intact. Then I
hammer the IT support department and the head of the school with the
financial argument and begin to pull out my kids from the school.

Yes, I _am_ that personally convinced that what I do is the right way.
See: Peters Laws of the Sociopathic Obsessive Compulsive. If you can't
beat them, join them, then beat them.