[ale] Secure Wiki?

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Sep 27 10:57:55 EDT 2007

>   Anyone have experience with a Wiki we can have this control with?

I've hacked MediaWiki to do such things, including using "Simple Auth"
looking up a MySQL database for users,

But:

   0. MediaWiki is a pig.
   1. It was not fun.
   2. MediaWiki is a pig.
   3. It was not fun.
   4. MediaWiki is a big fat pig.

   9. The customers (sizable) check did not bounce. :)

I don't have the code I did, it was for a company, shelled in from their
offices and I did not get a copy, but I know it's do-able, and I could do
it again. MediaWiki just seems to require a lot of hardware for what it
does, and it's really designed to run on several systems with serious
load, using some interesting techniques. It's a lot of overkill for what
most small systems need. If you need access control for read and write,
I'd consider a CMS like Joomla.