[ale] wireless card

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Sep 27 08:29:14 EDT 2007

David Tomaschik wrote:
> Brian Pitts wrote:
>> Unfortunately, sometimes cards that do have native drivers perform
>> better with ndiswrapper. My one experience with this was a
>> broadcom-based card that crawled at 30KBps with the native linux
>> driver + the firmware cut from a windows driver, then shot up to
>> 300KBps with ndiswrapper + the windows driver.
>>
>> -Brian
> I hate broadcom cards.  I am wondering what makes them so hard to write
> an open driver for (or rather, to improve the driver for).  Anyone know
> of a good source for replacement minipci cards?  (i.e., intel).  I'd
> love to get rid of the broadcom in my Dell.

You might want to do some research before you do that.  I don't know
about Dell, but I have an hp laptop that I tried to put a minipci
wireless card in and it wouldn't boot, complaining about unrecognized
hardware.  Turns out, HP wants you to use THEIR card, therefore the
error message.  Pretty well sucks.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin