[ale] Software raid 0 getting strnage errors.

Keith Hopkins ALE ale at hopnet.net
Wed Sep 26 19:05:19 EDT 2007

Jim Lynch wrote:
> I first noticed that I had a problem when I received the following email:
>
> A DegradedArray event had been detected on md device /dev/md0.
>

> I did a google on this error and found that it's probably because of an
> unclean mount.  I suspect that happened during a storm when power went out.
> a cat of /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5]
> [raid4] [multipath]
> md0 : active raid1 hda5[1]
>      93771264 blocks [2/1] [_U]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> Sure enough /dev/hdb5 is missing.  However when I attempt to add it back
> in, I get:
>
> root at chinaberry:~# umount /dev/md0
> root at chinaberry:~# mdadm /dev/md0  --add /dev/hdb5
> mdadm: Cannot open /dev/hdb5: Device or resource busy

Hi Jim,

  mdadm -E on a failed drive is usually not helpful, as it shows 'outdated' info.  What does mdadm -D /dev/md0 show you?

  You odd bit is that you have the wrong partition type set on hdb5.  It should be "fd" Linux raid autodetect.

  For what it's worth, let's see the output from `cat /proc/mounts`.

--Keith