[ale] Best kind of ssh key

David Tomaschik ozone at webgroup.org
Tue Sep 25 13:13:50 EDT 2007

Evan Pitstick wrote:
> I have read a lot of conflicting information about the better ssh key
> type lately. My understanding before was that DSA was a stronger keytype
> however, i saw this yesterday on the PUTTY FAQ.
>
> "DSA has a major weakness if badly implemented: it relies on a random
> number generator to far too great an extent. If the random number
> generator produces a number an attacker can predict, the DSA private key
> is exposed - meaning that the attacker can log in as you on all systems
> that accept that key.
>
> The PuTTY policy changed because the developers were informed of ways to
> implement DSA which do not suffer nearly as badly from this weakness,
> and indeed which don't need to rely on random numbers at all. For this
> reason we now believe PuTTY's DSA implementation is probably OK.
> However, if you have the choice, we still recommend you use RSA
> instead."
>
> What do you guys think?

In actual practice, it probably doesn't make much difference at all.
I'm (reasonably) certain OpenSSH comes under enough scrutiny that it has
strong implementations of both RSA and DSA.  Either key should provide
you with more than enough security to hide your communications from
anything but the most determined attackers (i.e., NSA).

David