[ale] It might be too late to sell your SCOX stock

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Sep 18 14:54:57 EDT 2007

Here the person is going to jail for not listing assets rather than
non-payment of debt.   Debtor's prisons don't exist in America and this
is a clever dodge around that - you can always go to jail for contempt
of court (without trial I might add).

I also didn't use the word "never".  I said it was "rare".  One anecdote
doesn't prove your point.

Funny that you mention hotels - I worked in several over many years and
except for one they were all seen as "deadbeat" because of the way they
paid (or didn't pay) bills.   Despite that I never saw anyone go to jail
or seizure of a building such as you describe.  I'm guessing your
friend's case dealt with something that allowed him to put a lien
against the building which is something completely different.   If he
had the ability to put a lien then his debt was considered "secured" by
the property itself and the lien was an assertion of that right.