[ale] vmware server vs. workstation

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Sep 17 20:23:58 EDT 2007

If you need to access the VM from a remote server, and/or you plan on running multiple VM's, then server is the way to go.

If you plan to run it on you personal workstation or notebook and want to use it as a way to run those occasional pesky Windows apps or for testing, then Workstation is the way to go.

I run both on multiple machines and I haven't noticed any speed differential on the latest versions.
Workstation will give you more virtual device support, but the VMware files are interchangeable between server and W/S.

Also, Workstation costs, Server doesn't.  I've been maintaining a licensed copy of Workstation since sometime in the 2.x versions, so I upgrade every time there's a new release.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420