[ale] vmware server vs. workstation

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 19:38:08 EDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Multiple snapshots would be nice so I can install something and revert
> easily.

VMware Server won't let you do that (as of 1.0.3 that I have on my box). You
can only take one snapshot and that's it. I use VMware Workstation at work
and that's the only difference I've really taken advantage of. It also has
stuff like experimental support for 3D acceleration, but I don't tend to use
that too much at work :)

As for speed differences, I really haven't used Server enough too know, but
I really wouldn't be surprised since Workstation is the one you have to pay
for.

-Steve Brown