[ale] It might be too late to sell your SCOX stock

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Sep 17 17:18:33 EDT 2007

Money owed is certainly "debt" no matter how it became owed.  More
properly it is classified as a liability on the balance sheet.   Most
companies will book liability at the start of litigation just to reflect
to potential for loss later.  The Reorganization as I mentioned
previously helps void contracts and agreements as well as debts.
(Delta's reorganization included voiding union contracts even though the
unions had already made concessions in those contracts - that
notwithstanding the bankruptcy court sided with Delta.)

Businesses typically fail not because total liabilities exceed total
assets but rather "current liabilities" (as opposed to long term
liabilities) require payments that exceed the cash "asset".  That is to
say they go under because they are forced by creditors to make payments
to stay in business.   If you don't believe businesses routinely ignore
owing money for things that don't affect day to day operations you've
never done accounting.

It doesn't matter if you owe $12 million to someone if they have no
security for the debt.  They can rant and rave but they can't ever
actually force you to pay.  It is much like credit card debt (assuming
you're smart enough not to tie it to a home equity line) - they can go
to court and get judgments saying "pay up" but the courts won't actually
ever put you in jail for it or take away your property (unless they can
prove fraud).

The folks that usually force a bankruptcy are the ones that can:
1) Foreclose on mortgages.
2) Repossess equipment.
3) Stop supplying you whatever it is you need to run your day to day
business.
It is the above that Chapter 11 helps with because the court essentially
tells the creditors to back off for a while though they usually get to
petition the court for how things should go in the long run.

While it has occurred on occasion in past that one court's decision has
muddied another's and the two courts have argued with each other I don't
really see that happening here.

Years ago when Texaco lost a judgment to Pennzoil they specifically
filed bankruptcy as the judgment essentially meant they owed Pennzoil
more money than they were worth.

The only debt I know of that you can never get rid of via bankruptcy is
IRS debt.  Of course personal bankruptcy laws have changed to favor
corporations over individuals under the Republicans but this discussion
is about corporations so the old rules still apply.