[ale] Synaptic problems

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sat Sep 15 10:39:31 EDT 2007

I thought I screwed up a Ubuntu 5.04 installation by not knowing
enough about how to upgrade the repositories in synaptic.  But now I
am having a similar problem on another 6.06 installation.

I haven't changed anything on this 6.06 box.  I am getting
"connection refused"  Messages when I try to install updates.
Currently patches for tar, rsync, and Mozilla.  The full text of the
message is, "could not connect to archive.ubuntu.com:80 (91.189.89.8)
- connect (111 connection refused)"

I stuck the URL that preceded the message into Mozilla and downloaded
the packages to my desktop but synaptic still gets connection
refused.  The links synaptic is using are valid and I have done
updates several times before.  I think I can install the updates fine
from the packages I downloaded to my desktop but why won't Synaptic
work?

The 5.04 box I mentioned is so screwed I can't install anything on
it.  I am going to have to save my /home and reinstall.  I don't want
that to happen to this box.  Anybody have a clue as to what is going on?

Thanks,

Mark