[ale] Getting rid of Active Directory

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 13 18:43:16 EDT 2007

On Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:24PM, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> In our server room, we're virtually Windows free, aside from a few nagging, but important, servers:
>
> - Active Directory (permissions, authentication)
> - File Server
> - Email
> - VPN
>
> I have some ideas about getting rid of email and vpn, but the ActiveDirectory/File server combo is a gray area for me. The nice thing about active directory is that you can maintain file server permissions, etc, directly within the directory.
>
> What are my Linux or *nix options in this area?
>
> Thanks!
> John

A great alternative would be Open Enterprise Server[1] from Novell.  You'll
get the file serving you need along with eDirectory to replace AD.

  1. http://www.novell.com/products/openenterpriseserver/
--
Cheers,
Trey

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.

Linux fedora7.thesizemores.us 2.6.22.4-65.fc7 i686 GNU/Linux
 18:41:04 up 4 days,  5:39,  3 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.05, 0.01