[ale] I386 vs 64bit

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 13 09:56:17 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 09:36 -0400, Mike Harrison wrote:
> > so my Dell is running the AMD 64bit kernel and I need to get back to my intel
> > kernel.
>
> I had so many issues, mostly with Flash (which I need for work, really)
> that I gave up and went back to 32bit Ubuntu 7.04 on my laptop.
> It's hard to beat "everything just working" again.

You _can_ have 64-bit system and a 32-bit Firefox (and flash and other
multimedia toys, er, ah TOOLS) but you have to have both sets of libs to
support it.

The big boxes we do for schools have 32 bit firefox and 64-bit
everything else. That way flash works and then we can use the
mplayerplug-in (all done in 32 bit). But it sure eats up drive space.
The install DVD requires a dual layer. (Centos 5 based)