[ale] I386 vs 64bit

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Sep 12 16:38:43 EDT 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ok, now I'm starting to get worried..
> I tried to install ksquirrel, and it said it was the wrong software, it was
> for X86 and my platform is 64bit.
> I really need to get this resolved...
> so my Dell is running the AMD 64bit kernel and I need to get back to my intel
> kernel.
> I did the apt-get install for the linux-image....p4.... but I don't know the
> magic commands to make it into files that appear in /boot.
>
> what am I missing?
> docs, readme, how-to's??

Hi Paul,

Did you read my previous messages?

1) The kernel you tried to install does not exist. AMD64 is a generic
name for an architecture implemented by AMD and Intel. There is no
significant differences in the ISA for the chips from AMD and Intel
which implement this architecture, so Debian stopped releasing kernels
tailored to each.
2) Even if it did, it wouldn't solve your problem. You installed the
64-bit version of Debian. Not only your kernel, but also your userspace
(all programs and libraries) are compiled for 64-bit. Software compiled
for 32-bit will not work because it will not be able to find the
libraries it needs.
3) Chips that implement the AMD64 architecture can run in 32-bit or
64-bit mode.
3a) Since it seems that #2 is not what you intended, your best option is
to install the 32-bit version of Debian. Below are download links for
bittorrent and http.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/i386/bt-cd/debian-40r1-i386-CD-1.iso.torrent
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r1/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r1-i386-CD-1.iso

3b) If for some reason (maybe you have a bazillion gigabytes of ram, do
heavy crypto, etc) you must run a 64-bit system but still have the need
to use the occasional application that you cannot compile to a 64-bit
target, use the process outlined at
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/534 to create a 32-bit chroot.

I hope this helps you.

-Brian