[ale] Re: Unexpected password change!

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:30:00 EDT 2007

> I tried to sign-on to my personal desktop this morning and my password
> no longer works? Any thoughts on how or why this happened?

OK, so you all suspected a cap lock, stuck key, or forgotten password
situation didn't you?

No -- I make far more troublesome mistakes than that. Yesterday, I
practiced my chmod -R skills while the / partition of another
operating system was still mounted to the current file system?

The end result of my brilliance, I changed the permissions denying
non-root users of the second operating system access to important
files. (Exactly which ones I do not know).

I changed the permission of / , /home, and /home/users, and now I can
log-in, but  I'm not sure what other damage I caused.  Any advice on
how to untangle this mess would be appreciated.