[ale] ZoneMinder

Marvin, International Martian of Mystery marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 10:41:17 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 17:27 +0400, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I know a few of you are doing video surveillance. I've heard good things about ZoneMinder (http://www.howtoforge.com/video_surveillance_zoneminder_ubuntu), but just starting the hardware research to understand how much a solution for a small to mid-size retail store is likely to cost.

Zoneminder is cool.  It'll handle any linux-compatible video capture
card.  For a nice selection of such, I'd suggest:

http://www.bluecherry.net

They're good.  Hardware support is good.  Linux support is excellent.

> Anyone already been through it that could share numbers and experience?

You could set-up a 16-camera dedicated pc system for about $600.00 bux,
hardware cost.  I'd add about $500.00 labor for software
configuration/set-up, and a bit of mark-up on the hardware, to come up
with a bid of about $1200.00 dollars BEFORE considering camera cost,
cable cost, and it's associated labor.