[ale] Stack dump

PairOfTwins PairOfTwins at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 6 19:14:15 EDT 2007

Anyone:

Replaced the motherboard in a working Ubuntu 7.04 installation, after
lightning struck, with a NEARLY identical motherboard (same brand and
same ViA chipset), expecting to have a working system.

Nearly every boot, I get a stack trace, etc, but can't pin down the
problem, unless it's SATA hard drive stuff.  Running e2fsck didn't turn
up any errors.  Booting Xubuntu from CD works fine.

"BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00002361
Printing EIP"

Once, with several SATA features disabled in BIOS, it booted, but next
boot the old errors came back.

My googling turned up some kernel parameters to try -- none of which
helped:
   all-generic-ide, pci=nomsi, acpi=off

Any suggestions, short of reinstalling?

Thanks,