[ale] wifi-radar

Jim Moore j9916moore at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 6 11:26:34 EDT 2007

Sorry that got out as HTML.  Try this;

Have had radar running successfully before, but think that was under FC6
  Wanted go take the laptop out yesterday and discovered I don't have it
since I'm now running Etch.
Used synaptic and installed, but can't get it to run.  Instructions are
to run the first time as root.  Went to console did "su -, the entered
root pwd and then wifi-radar".
Got the following return:

debian:~# wifi-radar
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/wifi-radar", line 1889, in ?
    import gtk, gobject
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line
45, in ?
    from _gtk import *
RuntimeError: could not open display

Line 1889 of /usr/sbin/wifi-radar (actually I'm copying from line 1880)
looks like this:

if __name__ == "__main__":
    # Are we in configure mode?
    if len( sys.argv ) > 1 and ( sys.argv[1] == '--version' or
sys.argv[1] == '-v' ):
        print "WiFi-Radar version %s" % WIFI_RADAR_VERSION
    elif len( sys.argv ) > 1 and ( sys.argv[1] == '--daemon' or
sys.argv[1] == '-d' ):
        scanning_thread()
        connect_to_preferred()
    else:
        import gtk, gobject
        gtk.threads_init()
        configure()

Looking at the /var/lib/python (beginning bac at line 22 thru the
referenced line 45 I see this:

import os
import sys
from types import ModuleType as _module
from warnings import warn as _warn

# this can go when things are a little further along
try:
    import ltihooks
    sys.path.insert(1, 'gobject')
    del ltihooks
except ImportError:
    pass

_is_pydoc = False
if sys.argv:
    name = os.path.basename(sys.argv[0])
    if 'pydoc' in name:
        _is_pydoc = True

import gobject as _gobject

# load the required modules:
sys_path = sys.path[:]
from _gtk import *

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Would really like to get radar
running and would appreciate the help.!

Jim Moore