[ale] Simple, plain, text printing.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Sep 3 15:55:01 EDT 2007

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a printer in CUPS that is a
no-frills, text-only printer?  I have a dot-matrix that I rather like
using for printing throwaway things out, code snippets and the like, and
other misc. temporary text type things.  Right now, I just redirect the
output of whatever I need to it directly through to the device node.
However, I'd rather like to be able to just do something like piping it
directly through something like 'lpr -p Citizen500' and have the system
not go through the trouble of converting to PS and then to the printer's
native format.

I did find one way to do this, but it a global setting that affects all
printers, not just the one I'm interested in; I can't send plain text to
my inkjet printer (nor would I really want to) and the laser printer
doesn't do so pretty by it either.

If my only solution is to redirect to the device node, then I can get by
with changing /etc/rc.local to just make the device node accessible to
me every time the system boots.

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch               Internet Mail & Jabber: mike at trausch.us
Phone:  (404) 592-5746 x1                         http://www.trausch.us/