[ale]dell laptop keyboard - OT airport security

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Sat Sep 1 18:58:10 EDT 2007

Years ago I used to carry a briefcase full of cat 5 cables with a break
out box, tools and RJ45/DB25 modular connectors.  Usually I checked that
through but the day before my flight back from LA they had blown up
someone's bag on the tarmac.   This was during an alert caused by a
thread from the Unabomber.

Due to this I carried the briefcase through security.  They told me to
put it on the scanner and I said "No, you're going to want to see this."
They put it through the scanner anyway then said "Yeah, you're right -
we need to see it."

Back then I regularly also carried my Leatherman Tool because it was
great for pushing pins on the DB/25.   That had a knife blade, pliers
and multiple screw drivers along with can/bottle opener and file.   The
one I have now is longer and has two knife blades.

Oddly enough I was just at the Carlos Museum at Emory last weekend and
they confiscated it while I was in the exhibits.  They didn't have metal
detectors but I answered the question truthfully when they asked if I
had a pocket knife.  It made me wonder whether they think people that
would use pocket knives to damage exhibits or attack other patrons would
be honest enough to answer in the affirmative.