[ale] macbook and linux

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Nov 24 14:46:16 EST 2007

Geoffrey wrote:
> Brian Pitts wrote:
>> Geoffrey wrote:
>>> Has anyone attempted to dual boot any of the new macbooks with Linux
>>> and OSX?  I'm looking at a new laptop and I'd rather give my money to
>>> Apple, then pay Dell for the Microsoft tax.
>>
>> The newest Macbook and Macbook Pros are based on Intel's Santa Rosa
>> platform. This is the same as my Inspiron 1420N (which you can buy
>> without paying the Microsoft tax) and is now well supported by Linux.
>
> Okay, I'm game.  I've been looking at the Dell laptops as well, but I
> don't see anywhere on their website that suggests they will sell you one
> without the Microsoft virus.  Pointers?

They put Ubuntu in its own section rather than making it an OS option on
during the regular purchasing process.

http://dell.com/open

You can get the Inspiron 530 desktop or 1420 laptop with Ubuntu. The
price is $50 less than a comparable equipped machine with Vista.

I prefer the 1420N to the Macbook for three reasons:

1) It's a couple hundred $ cheaper for the same CPU/RAM/HDD
2) It's screen is larger (14.1 vs 13.3)
3) A non-glossy screen is available

Plus, I get a warm and fuzzy feeling from showing the demand for linux.

Of course, no Apple means no OS X, legally at least. [1]

-Brian

[1] http://www.osx86project.org/