[ale] recommended writing tool in anticipation of commercial submission

List lst at wiencko.net
Fri Nov 23 14:59:41 EST 2007

Depends.  If you are submitting copy only, which will be edited and
typeset by others, it is best to stay pretty simple.  Everybody takes
Microsoft Word's .doc format, .rtf, and WordPerfect .wpd.  If they are
going to do the page layouts, this is probably as much formatting as
they want or need.

If you are submitting to a printer (as opposed to a publisher) or are
interested in doing some or all of the page layout yourself, then
Adobe's Framemaker is by far the tool of choice, followed by Quark
Express.  All printing houses take these file formats and can do
miracles with them.  Some like Adobe's InDesign, but in my experience
this is better suited to short works with a lot of graphics, such as
brochures, catalogs, or short marketing materials.

Avoid LaTex or any of the other manual page markup languages.  Many
(perhaps even most) publishers, and all printers that I am aware of,
will have to strip out that formatting and reformat in some more
publishing friendly system, costing you money and them aggravation.
There is a substantial religious following for LaTex in the Unix
community, but a writer will do well to resist the techie love for such
tools.

I use Framemaker, and have had fantastic results with it, after climbing
the (somewhat steep) learning curve.

Tom