[ale] Extended or Global Clustering

Tim Meanor timothy at meanor.net
Thu Nov 22 10:29:23 EST 2007

Look at Veritas cluster server (VCS) and volume replicator (VVR).
These allow you to build a cluster in which the nodes are
geographically separated (ie a global cluster).  VCS handles the
clustering duties, and VVR is used to synchronize data between the
geographically separated nodes.  For example, with VCS you build a
local cluster using shared storage between the nodes, and a remote
cluster with the same configuration. Then you set up VVR to
synchronize data from the local cluster to the remote cluster.  Then
you use VCS to create a global cluster consisting of the local and
remote clusters.  Once that is all done, you can fail over packages
from a node in the local cluster to one in the remote cluster (and
vice versa).  I'm in the process of setting this up where the local
and remote clusters are separated by about 500 miles.

-Tim