[ale] top on console

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 20:38:34 EST 2007

I suppose you can modify /etc/inittab and replace the getty on the first VC.

Maybe replace this:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
with this:
1:2345:respawn:/bin/sudo -u nobody /usr/bin/top

I haven't done this or tested it though.

On 11/17/07, Jim Popovitch <yahoo at jimpop.com> wrote:
> I routinely use vmplayer to test stuff server software, so most of my
> vms don't have a GUI installed or configured... and I just start
> vmplayer, minimize it, and ssh in to do what I need to do.  Somewhere
> along the line I usually need to run top to monitor something, so what I
> am looking to do is automatically run top on the first console.  Any
> ideas on how to best do this?
>
> -Jim P.

[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$