[ale] CNN Live Videos

Andy Whitten PilarLosada at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 14:55:18 EST 2007

Hello,
I am using latest version of  Debian Etch. Earlier this week I wanted to
watch the political debates on-line. I went to CNN and chose the "Live
Video" option. Much to my surprise and  chagrin, I found that I was
unable to watch it. I tried the old "switching the useragent trick" with
Firefox, but I was still out of luck.

It told me that I had a supported platform; however, that I had to
download and install an exe file provided by CNN.

Even though  Wine might be able to accept the exe and beguile the site
into believe I was on XP, I decided I didn't want to risk  harming my
beloved Debian system.  I've been told that  somehow you can use
Flip4MAC and MPlayer to get the Live Videos to work on CNN.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to proceed?  I tend to
prefer  using Mplayer and the Mplayer plugin; however, I am not adverse
to using other options like Xine or VLC.

Regards,

Andy Whitten