[ale] Running IPv6 on home server

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Nov 12 13:25:20 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 13:10 -0500, Chris Woodfield wrote:

	:

> Next question: While trying to get apps that are v6-enabled to speak
> v6 instead of v4, I noticed that DNS queries from the clients are
> still v4. Since my clients all get their addresses from a DHCP server,
> does anyone know if it's possible to configure DHCP to serve v6 domain-
> name-servers options? When I put in a v6 address in that field I got a
> config syntax error. Or is there a different way to "tell" v6-enabled
> clients about v6 DNS resolvers?

	Simple answer...  No.  IPv4 dhcp will not serve up IPv6 addresses for
the resolvers.  That's pretty much that's a limitation of the IPv4 dhcp
protocol.

	OTOH...  You could try dhcp6.  Dhcp and dhcp6 are similar but
distinctly different protocols.  I haven't done it, but I believe that
by serving out IPv6 addresses using the dhcp6 statful configuration, you
can also serve out IPv6 name servers.  Now, how that gets resolved on
the system with name servers coming from multiple client packages, I
don't know.  I do know that IPv6 addresses work in /etc/resolve.conf
like a charm.  I don't know how you would go about combining stateless
autoconf with stateful dhcp6, either.  I think it's suppose to work, but
I've never tried it and I don't know how well the clients play in that
regards either.

> I'd be glad to share my experience for others who want to try this as
> well! Have any ALE meetings discussed IPv6 at all?

	I've been on IPv6 for many many years.  I'm with OCCAID, although I
have open accounts with Hurricane Electric, Freenet6, and SixXs.  I
turned off my tunnel keep-alives years ago because there was enough
native DNS and SMTP traffic on IPv6 to no longer need any sort of
keep-alive.  OCCAID has points of presence (POPs) here in Atlanta which
may give you much MUCH better latency than HE over in California or
Freenet6 in Canada.  I believe they've got three POPs down at the Spring
Street NAP.  OCCAID is now partnered up with SixXs to deliver IPv6 for
end users and it's a snap to set up.  If you've got SIT tunnels running
to HE, you'll have zero trouble setting them up to OCCAID (AIYIA was not
available in the US, for those that need a UDP transport).

	I gave talks at ALE and AUUG years ago on the "Brave New World of
IPv6".  Since then, there are now more IPv6 /48 NETWORKS advertised in
BGP than there are individual IPv4 unicast addresses.  This has now been
true for about a year and a half.

> Thanks,

> -Chris

	Mike