[ale] .xsession-errors issue

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Nov 10 11:26:06 EST 2007

On Sat 2007-11-10 10:37:59 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> the drive filled up last night after I went to bed. I found the error on my
> screen this morning. I did an aptitude reinstall openssl this morning, just
> for good measure..
>
> my NEW default for doing an ls will be:
> ls -laSr
> to show me the newest largest files at the bottom:)

if you want to narrow in on the largest subdirectories within, say
/home (on a single filesystem), do:

 du -kx /home | sort -n | tail

du -k says "show sizes in kilobytes"

du -x says "stay on one filesystem (don't traverse mountpoints)"

sort -n says "sort, but treat the key as a number, not as an
              alphanumeric string (i.e. 10 should sort *after* 1)"

tail grabs the last 10 lines (the 10 largest directories)

you don't mention what distribution/version you're running, so it's
difficult to propose things that might be chewing up space.  On one
Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon machine i've got, trackerd likes to chew up all
the space on the home filesystem, and that problem does not seem to be
resolved yet:

 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tracker/+bug/146243

Maybe that's what you're seeing?

hth,