[ale] How do you store your passwords?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Nov 9 14:00:31 EST 2007

Nick Ali wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 1:33 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
>> Nick Ali wrote:
>>> There is no easy solution for not having GPG installed on the
>>> computer. With different architectures and libraries, carrying around
>>> binaries isn't a realistic option. But I can't remember the last time
>>> I've seen a linux machine without GPG, but yeah, this could be a
>>> problem.
>> Put linux on the USB stick and make it bootable. Keep the passwords in a
>> GPG-encrypted file or an encrypted partition.
>
> This is interesting. How would this work though? If I need the
> passwords to access something on machine Foo, I need to boot off the
> usb stick, get the password, and then boot back into machine Foo?

If you're on a linux machine you can probably access the encrypted file
or password directly. If you're on a windows machine, well, why wouldn't
you want to run linux from the usb stick instead :)

If that's not an option: if you used GPG you could use GPG from Windows.
If you encrypted the partition you could access it from Windows using
http://www.freeotfe.org/

-Brian