[ale] Seagate's DB35 DVR drives don't work with PCs

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Nov 7 23:31:01 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 23:01 -0500, Chris Woodfield wrote:
> Hey, this is more of a heads-up and a bit of a "WTF?" than an actual
> question:
>
> newegg.com has an OEM Seagate DB35 series 32G drive in stock for $70
> each. These are drives that are supposedly "designed for DVRs"
> according to the product page.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148287
>
> What the page (or seagate's own product page) doesn't tell you is that
> these drives do not appear to work at all in standard PCs. In my case,
> the BIOS recognized the drive, but it never became available to the
> Linux kernel. Looking at the product reviews on the page I'm not the
> only one who's run into this.
>
> Which brings the question: what is so different about these drives
> that they work in DVRs but not in PCs? From what I've found via google
> one feature of these drives is that they spin up slower than other
> drives, avoiding a large power draw at startup. Could this be causing
> an issue?
>
> Anyone have any more insight into this?

Seagate claims this is a perpendicular recording drive. But that aspect
should not appear at theOS layer unless something is really weird. The
blurb about "handles 10 simultaneous video streams" is quite curious.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=b3327ea70fafd010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US