[ale] Latency on my DSL line

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:13:57 EST 2007

For the most part I am going to have to agree with you. But there are
still some people working there that are knowledgeable, able, and
willing to help. Sadly, they have acquired some script monkeys that
you have to work around.

I live a quarter mile off the road and the line to my modem is about
100 feet long. So my signal isn't very good. I'm getting about 2Mb/sec
down on a good day. Still, I've been having too many problems myself.
As I was composing this message I ran the speedtest.net test and got
about 400Kb/sec, at best. Horrible.

If you want to write your own speed test, you could host a file on
known to be fast connection and download the file like such:

/usr/bin/time -p curl -o /dev/null
"http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/196444main_07pd3155_full.jpg" -s
2>tmp.out

You can then read the number of seconds it took to download the file
and divide that into the known bytes of the file. That should give you
how many bytes per second was downloaded. E.G. the file I used on
NASA's site is 522,886 bytes. On my last test, it took 9.85 seconds to
download. So I got 522886/9.85 = 53084.87 bytes/sec or 51 KB/sec
(53084.87/1024).

Clearly, a larger file will give a better sample.