[ale] similar weirdness

Brian brian at polibyte.com
Thu May 31 14:10:17 EDT 2007

> According to the manual, my ASUS A7N266-VM mobo was made in March, 2002.
> So I could use some suggestions for a new mobo.

After five years, I don't think you'll be able to buy a new motherboard
without also buying a new CPU and RAM. My recommendation for doing it
well but cheap would be Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2
3600+ processor, and a 1GB stick of any brand of DDR2-667 memory. This
should cost < $200. That motherboard has onboard video, which keeps you
from having to buy a new PCI-E video card as well. Works fine for me in
Ubuntu 7.04

Model
Brand 	ASUS
Model 	M2NPV-VM
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type 	Socket AM2
CPU Type 	Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64
FSB 	1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s)
Chipsets
North Bridge 	NVIDIA GeForce 6150
South Bridge 	NVIDIA nForce 430
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 	4?240pin
Memory Standard 	DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 	8GB
Dual Channel Supported 	Yes
Expansion Slots
AGP Slots 	None
PCI Express x16 	1
PCI Express x1 	1
PCI Slots 	2
Storage Devices
PATA 	2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices
SATA 3Gb/s 	4
SATA RAID 	NV RAID 0/1/0+1/5 JBOD
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset 	NVIDIA GeForce 6150
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset 	ADI AD1986A
Audio Channels 	6 Channels
Onboard LAN